Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What's with the name?

I know people will probably ask, so I'll go ahead and answer right away. I chose the name for my blog ("Occasional Reflections on Several Subjects") while reading The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A. J. Jacobs. Basically A. J. read the Encyclopedia Britannica in an attempt to gain all knowledge known to man. Along with sections on the interesting tidbits he finds in the Britannica, he also shares about his life throughout the process. It's pretty funny.

In one part of the book he tells about some of his favorite book titles. One particularly good one is Narrative of the Surveying Voyages of His Majesty's Ships Adventure and Beagle Between the Years 1826 and 1836, Describing Their Examination of the Southern Shores of South Americana and the Beagle's Circumnavigation of the Globe by Robert Fitzroy. I'm sure that this was quite a page turner!

Another good title is one used by Anglo-Irish chemist Robert Boyle for his book of moral essays, which is Occasional Reflections on Several Subjects. I thought it would make a great title for my blog since I will be writing on occasion (no promises of daily entries) and I will not be focusing on any particular topic.

No comments: